Storm victim reflects on derecho one year later
Updated On: Jun 30 2013 11:10:33 AM EDT
Though it's been a year since the storm we've come to know as the derecho hit, the memory of its destruction is still fresh to some victims.
“It sounded like a freight train coming, it was awful,” said storm victim Linwood Craddock.
WDBJ7 spoke with Craddock and his wife Shirley last year after the storm at the Pine Tree Mobile Home Park. A neighbor's tree had fallen on top of their porch.
"It was a big thump when that tree went down side of my trailer. I didn't know what was going on. I heard a big racket, it shook my trailer and then I realized something had went wrong. And we looked out the window and saw nothing but tree limbs,” said Craddock.
Craddock says he was standing in the kitchen taking his medication that night. He tried leaving outside of his front door but it was blocked by a tree.
“It took this whole corner off here, from along here all the way down. It tore the gutter down off the back end of the trailer,” said Craddock.
He remembers wanting to save the food in both his refrigerator and deep freezer. An old generator he was using stop working, so he had to buy a new one at $700, fueling it at what he says was $32 a day. He says he feels a little better after some improvements.
“Our landlord got all these tree cut down in here. It made the park a lot better; a lot safer,” said Cradock.
It’s a first for Craddock, ever seeing a wind storm so powerful, he hopes never to experience it again.
Copyright © 2013, WDBJ7